AfriCultuReS aims to design, implement and demonstrate an integrated agricultural monitoring and early warning system that will support decision making in the field of food security. AfriCultuReS delivers a broad range of climatic, production, biophysical and economic information, for various regions in Africa. AfriCultuReS applies geospatial science to sustainable agricultural development, natural resource management, biodiversity conservation, and poverty alleviation in Africa.
1. To improve and turn operational innovative food production monitoring and forecasting methods in Africa for enriched decision making
2. To diminish the current subjectivity and error in crop area and yield estimates
3. To extend the EU knowledge on EO based services for AG monitoring to Africa
4. To deliver a platform to assess and analyze the production of food
5. To predict upcoming threats due to climate change and propose sustainable adaptation in crop and livestock farming systems
6. To deliver information and best practices in an user friendly way
7. To build capacity and leverage awareness raising among decision makers concerned about food security in Africa
Role of SMHI
Task leader for Task 3.3 “Weather Forecast, Seasonal Predictions & Climate Projections”. SMHI also contributes significantly to several tasks and activities across different WPs.
All 17 project partners in the AfriCultuRes consortium can be found here:
EU, Horizon 2020
Contact person at SMHI