The policy information sheet presents some of the science and policy insights from CRESCENDO’s leading Earth system scientists pertinent to realizing the Paris Agreement. These insights are now published as a policy leaflet available in seven different languages (English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish).
The key findings from the latest research are:
- All scenarios that keep warming below 1.5°C demand rapid and sustained reductions in CO2 emissions by 2030 and continuing thereafter.
- All successful 1.5°C scenarios require net zero CO2 emissions by 2050.
- The scale of BECCS assumed in successful 1.5 °C scenarios may conflict with other important sustainability goals.
- Considering climate change mitigation along with other sustainability goals, protection of existing forests and natural afforestation may show advantages over large-scale deployment of BECCS.
- A Low Energy Demand scenario shows it is possible to stay below 1.5°C warming with limited or no reliance on negative emissions technologies.
Find out more on.