- Funded by EUMETSAT
- Role: Intercalibration implementation of AVHRR sensors to produce climate data records of cloud properties
- Collaborating entities: DWD, Germany; KNMI, Netherlands
CCI-Clouds (2011 -present)
- Funded by ESA
- Role: Intercalibration of AVHRR like sensor family
- Collaborating entities: DWD, Germany and other institutes across Europe
- Funded by the Swedish National Space Board (SNSB)
- The main aim is to use A-Train satellite datasets to evaluate radiative heating profiles in the global climate model and reanalysis data
- Role: project leader
- Collaborating entities: SMHI and MISU, Stockholm University
Main research interests
- Investigating the atmospheric Essential Climate Variables (ECVs) derived from satellite based observations for climate monitoring applications and process studies. To that end, I use satellite based climatologies (from both historical and advanced sensors) of some of the ECVs such as clouds, aerosols, water vapour, temperature etc to understand and learn about the complex water and energy cycle and interactions/feedbacks among its components.
- Implementing calibration and intercalibration of passive imagers for climate applications.
- Studies of pollution transport signals in the satellite observations and remote sensing of air quality.
I strongly believe that the satellite observations, in-situ measurements and climate models form the three corners of the healthy climate research triangle. Additionally, I think the broad knowledge of various disciplines is needed in climate research to gather “the bigger picture”.